In my new job, I travel quite a bit, often on short notice. This has the unfortunate side-effect of frequently leaving me sitting in a center seat, squashed between two people who should eat less and exercise more. So, when the opportunity arose during check-in to purchase an aisle seat in “Economy Plus”, I jumped at the chance to have a more comfortable 6 hour trip.
Everything went fine at first. I was presented with a seat map which showed my existing seat and the empty ones. I picked the seat I wanted, provided my credit card information, and pressed “Enter”. Within a heartbeat, my email showed that I had received a receipt for the purchase. Apparently United’s accounting systems were really fast, though oddly, the transaction showed as “Continental” on the AMEX statement. Oh well, they did merge recently, so maybe Continental’s accounting system was what they kept, and someone just forgot to change the name. I just hope it doesn’t confuse MY company’s accounting system.
Things started to go south when I returned to the seat map, and discovered that I was still assigned to that center seat. I refreshed the screen, logged off and logged back in again, but it would not show the correct seat assignment. Since the transaction receipt did not actually call out the seat number change, I began to wonder whether I’d actually gotten the seat I’d asked for. Next step: call the United Reservations desk.
Of course, they were experiencing “higher than normal call volume”, so I provided my confirmation “number” (which was all letters that sounded like one another), my last name, verified a few details by saying “yes”, and got dropped into the queue to wait. Not a big deal, I have a speaker phone and just went about my business while that theme song droned on in the background. Just to keep things interesting, the music would stop periodically, giving me the false hope that the call was finally being answered. Nope.
When someone did pick up, it turned out that all that information I had provided to the automated voice system had to be provided again, apparently it too is a silo. I explained my problem, and the reservation agent told me that I was still in that center seat according to his seat map. At this point I started to get a bit upset, so he did some more checking and found that on the reservation (which I couldn’t see online) it did indeed show that I was in the aisle seat I had worked so hard for. He assured me that when I checked in, the correct seat would be on the boarding pass. However, having lost faith in the process, I insisted he stay on the line while I checked in, and sure enough, the seat was correct and all was well with the world.
Those of you who remember my blog “The Saga of the Safeway Sandwich” know that I like to dig into the costs of poor data quality. As I was waiting for the check-in to occur, I asked the agent whether he got a lot of calls from irate customers because the seat map didn’t update. He said that he did, and that some people shout at him about it (I did not, but I thought about it).
There are a whole lot of things going on here, things that are costing the airline money because the seat map doesn’t update when you change seats. Of course, they need more people to staff the phones, not even including the extra time it takes to repeat information which has already been provided. It also can’t be easy to be a reservations agent, and having people shout at you for something that wasn’t your fault doesn’t make it any easier. I will forgo comments on whether it matters that the customer was inconvenienced. It does to some businesses, not to others – and I’ll let it go at that. I’m sure you have your own opinions.
And you know, if the seat map doesn’t update the next time, I’m going to call again, because I’m not a very trusting individual.